Thursday, February 4, 2010

Skirts for Sticks

Saturday, Saturday! Yup, I love my hockey. Any hockey die-hard hockey fan gets that warm fuzzy feeling in their hearts when the puck drops on Saturday night. This time around, we'll be rooting for our fav's as they go for Gold with the whole world watching. At the same time, I think that women's hockey doesn't get the accolades and ratings it deserves. I recently saw this really stupid (and arguably sexist) commercial about eggs. Yeah, you read that right. In the commercial two dumb-a*ss Joe Blow's happen to be skating in the same rink where Olympic and World Champion hockey players Haley Wickenheiser and Kim St-Pierre are practicing. They have no clue as ti who these amazing athletes are and challenge them to a match. The losers would have to buy breakfast for the winners. Obviously, the women dominate and crush the idiots. Anyway, it just pisses me off that women's hockey doesn't get the exposure and sponsors it deserves. They are every bit as incredible as the men...with far less financing and athletic programs. The only thing I would like to see added to women's hockey is fighting and body-checking. This whole misogynist notion that women are made of "sugar and spice and everything nice" needs to change. Women can be total bad-asses if they wanna be and I encourage it.

No comments:

Post a Comment